Peter Ronner, PhD
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-9162 fax
Research & Clinical Interests
I am interested in the mechanisms which control the release of insulin and glucagon from the pancreas.
Most of my current work is focused on glucagon release. We found that non-B islet cells (most likely glucagon-secreting A-cells) contain ATP-sensitive K-channels (KATP) that are pharmacologically and electrophysiologically indistinguishable from those in insulin-secreting B-cells. I am interested in defining the role of KATP in the regulation of both insulin and glucagon release.
In our studies of normal and tumoral pancreatic endocrine cells we use electrophysiology, flow-cytometric cell-sorting, immunohistochemistry, radioimmunoassays, and sensitive luminometric microhistochemical assays, which we developed recently.
Previously, I have studied the Ca,Mg-ATPase of human erythrocyte membranes, and hormone release from the in vitro micro-perfused endocrine pancreas (weight ~5 mg) of channel catfish (Ictalurus nebulosus).
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Effects of glucose and amino acids on free ADP in βHC9 insulin-secreting cells
- Luminometric assays of ATP, phosphocreatine, and creatine for estimation of free ADP and free AMP
- Perfusion of pancreatic endocrine tissue of teleost fish
- Sulfonylurea-binding sites and ATP-sensitive K+ channels in α-TC glucagonoma and β-TC insulinoma cells
- Effect of the hypoglycaemic drug (−)‐AZ‐DF‐265 on ATP‐sensitive potassium channels in rat pancreatic β‐cells
- The role of ATP and free ADP in metabolic coupling during fuel-stimulated insulin release from islet β-cells in the isolated perfused rat pancreas
- Inhibition of ATP-sensitive K+ channels in pancreatic β-cells by nonsulfonylurea drug linogliride
- 2-Deoxyglucose stimulates the release of insulin and somatostatin from the perfused catfish pancreas
- Effect of linogliride on hormone release from perfused rat pancreas: Fuel dependence and desensitization by tolbutamide
- Secretagogues for pancreatic hormone release in the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus)
- Transmembrane Ion Distribution and Insulin Secretion
- Difference in dose-response curves for glucose-induced insulin and somatostatin release in rat pancreas
- Isolation and structures of glucagon and glucagon-like peptide from catfish pancreas
- Difference in glucose dependency of insulin and somatostatin release.
- Difference in glucose dependency of insulin and somatostatin release
- Isolated perfused Brockmann body as a model for studying pancreatic endocrine secretion
- Effects of calmodulin on the (Ca2++ Mg2+)ATPase partially purified from erythrocyte membranes
- Partial purification and reconstitution of the (Ca2++ Mg2+)-ATPase of erythrocyte membranes
- A lipid requirement for the (Ca2++ Mg2+)-activated ATPase of erythrocyte membranes
- A hydrophobic form of the small-intestinal sucrase-isomaltase complex