Jefferson – Strive Physical Therapy Orthopedic Residency
The Orthopedic Residency Program
The Jefferson Strive Rehabilitation Orthopedic Residency program is a post-professional clinical and didactic education program, designed to significantly advance the physical therapist resident’s preparation as a practitioner of choice in the field of orthopedic physical therapy. The program combines opportunities for ongoing clinical mentoring with a scientific basis for advanced practice. At the end of the experience, the resident will be academically and clinically prepared to pass the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialist (ABPTS) Orthopedic Clinical Specialist Examination. Applicants must be a graduate of an accredited DPT program and hold a current license in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The Mission of the Jefferson Strive Physical Therapy Orthopedic Residency program is to develop practitioners of choice who are specialists in the field of orthopedic physical therapy to meet the needs of society. The Residency Program will develop expert clinicians with advanced clinical skills in critical and innovative thinking as well as patient-centered, evidence-based, and autonomous practice. Graduates will exemplify professionalism, compassion, accountability, altruism, integrity, ethical conduct, and social responsibility and will contribute to the profession and to health care through their leadership, clinical excellence, teaching, consultative activities, and pursuit of scholarship and lifelong learning.
Graduates of the Orthopedic Residency Program will:
- Perform advanced patient examinations, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis and intervention consistent with the description of specialty practice in orthopedic physical therapy.
- Demonstrate advanced clinical decision making skills in patients with orthopedic disorders.
- Demonstrate the ability to discuss and debate pertinent issues in physical therapy with the emphasis on orthopedics.
- Provide evidence-based, comprehensive, skilled physical therapy services that explore all areas of the orthopedic DSP.
- Demonstrate competence in a variety of orthopedic settings to enhance clinical skills in orthopedic examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, intervention and outcome assessment across the continuum of care.
Strive Physical Therapy
Our mission is to provide the highest level of care through clinical excellence and superior customer service. Our objective is to improve the quality of life of every client and community group we have the opportunity to serve.
Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health
Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health are partners in providing excellent clinical and compassionate care for our patients in the Philadelphia region, educating the health professionals of tomorrow in a variety of disciplines and discovering new knowledge that will define the future of clinical care.
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency
Kim Nixon-Cave PT, PhD, PCS
Physical Therapy Program Director
901 Walnut Street
PT Department, Room 522
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Jefferson and Strive Physical Therapy Orthopedic Residency has obtained candidate status from ABPTRFE. Though achievement of candidate status signifies satisfactory progress toward accreditation, it does not assure that the program will be accredited.