Manning, Mary Lou
Mary Lou Manning, PhD, CRNP, CIC, FNAP, FAAN
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 503-0376 fax
PhD, Temple University, Health Education, 1996
Post-Master's Nurse Practitioner, Widener University, , 1986
MSN, University of Pennsylvania, 1981
BSN, University of Pennsylvania, 1978
Infection Prevention and Control Certification (CIC), Expires 12/2020
Research & Clinical Interests
Healthcare-Associated Infections (HIA)
Infection Prevention and Control
Patient Safety Culture
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC)
Immediate Past President, 2016
Member, Board of Directors, 2012-2013
President, Philadelphia & Delaware Valley Chapter, 2011
President-Elect, Philadelphia & Delaware Valley Chapter, 2010
Member, Education Committee, 2008-2012
Member, International Steering Committee, 1997
American Academy of Nursing
Member, Expert Panel on Emerging Infectious Diseases 2014-present
American Nurses Association (ANA)
Member, ANA/CDC Workgroup: Engaging Nurses in Antibiotic Stewardship, 2016
Member, Ebola Advisory Group, 2014
American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
Sigma Theta Tau, Xi Chapter
Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
Pennsylvania State Nurses Association (PSNA)
Awards & Honors
2015 Advanced Practice Infection Preventionist Award, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
2015 Excellence in Teaching Award, Doctor of Nursing Practice Program, Jefferson College of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University
2015 Invited participant, White House Forum on Antibiotic Stewardship
2015 Dean’s Faculty Achievement Award, Jefferson School of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University
2015 Named to “50 Experts Leading the Field of Patient Safety” by Becker’s Hospital Review
2015 Finalist: Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, Thomas Jefferson University
2015 Invited guest and speaker, Japanese Society for Infection Control and Prevention, 30th Annual Japanese Society for Infection Control and Prevention Conference, Kobe, Japan.
2015 President, Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC)
2014 Invited trainer, CDC Safety Training for Healthcare Workers going to West Africa in Response to Ebola Outbreak, Anniston, AL
2014 Invited member, CDC Rapid Ebola Preparedness Assessment Team, Philadelphia.
2014 Distinguished Fellowship in the National Academies of Practice (FNAP) and the Nursing Academy as a Distinguished Practitioner & Fellow
2013 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)
2005 Fellow, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
2003-2006 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Executive Nurse Fellowship
2003 Original Film Award, Dartmouth Clinical Microsystems Film Festival - Everybody Wins Using the Daily Patient Goal Sheet
2002 Motorola University, Six Sigma Green Belt
1995 American Nurses’ Foundation Scholar
Selected Presentations (since 2012)
Pogorzelska-Maziarz, M., Manning, M.L., & Fitzpatrick, R. Infection prevention and control in primary care. 43rd Annual Education Conference and International Meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Charlotte, NC. June 2016
Manning, M.L., Promoting a culture of safety as a patient safety strategy. Keynote speaker, Nurses Week. Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals. May 2016
Manning, M.L., Leading strategically: Creating boundary spanning networks. 16th Congress of the International Federation of Infection Control, Vienna, Austria, March 2016.
Manning, M.L., Miller, J. Dahlquist, K. Improving healthcare through big reading: Ten classic, new, and not-so-new essential readings for DNP students. AANC Doctoral Education Conference, Naples FL. January 2016
Manning, M.L., Global Infectious Diseases. 4th Annual Distinguished Lecture, Rutgers School of Nursing and the Center for Global Advancement and International Affairs, Camden, NJ. November 2015
Manning, M.L., Emerging infectious diseases: Global impact - local consequences. National Student Nurses Association Midyear Career Planning Conference, Atlanta, GA. November 2015
Manning, M.L., What every nursing student needs to know about infection prevention: Teaching tips for faculty. National Student Nurses Association Midyear Career Planning Conference, Atlanta, GA. November 2015
Manning, M.L., Leading with impact: The art of boundary spanning. Pittsburgh Three Rivers APIC Chapter Annual Fall Conference, Canonsburg, PA, October 2015
Manning, M.L., Ebola – Crises management. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, New Careers in Nursing Scholars Network Leadership Conference, Trenton, NJ. April, 2015
Manning, M.L., Infection prevention practice and education: The importance of interprofessional collaboration and teamwork. 30th Annual Japanese Society for Infection Control and Prevention. Kobe, Japan, February 2015
Manning, M.L., Healthcare associated infections: What every medical resident should know. Medical Grand Rounds, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA. November 2014
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- State health department requirements for reporting of antibiotic-resistant infections by providers, United States, 2013 and 2015
- Combating antibiotic resistance: The role of nursing in antibiotic stewardship
- Factors influencing nurses' use of hazardous drug safe-handling precautions
- Infection surveillance systems in primary health care: A literature review
- Collective strength, collective action
- Collective Strength, Collective Action
- Left ventricular assist device driveline infection and the frequency of dressing change in hospitalized patients
- Keeping patients safe: Antibiotic resistance and the role of nurse executives in antibiotic stewardship
- Using accreditation standards as a framework to evaluate and improve a community-based diabetes self-management education program
- The urgent need for nurse practitioners to lead antimicrobial stewardship in ambulatory health care
- Skin and soft tissue infection management, outcomes, and follow-up in the emergency department of an urban academic hospital
- IPads, droids, and bugs: Infection prevention for mobile handheld devices at the point of care
- Journal Club: Twitter as a source of vaccination information: Content drivers and what they're saying
- Provider use of corrected age during health supervision visits for premature infants
- Infection preventionists' job descriptions: Do they reflect expanded roles and responsibilities?
- Journal Club: A venue to advance evidence-based infection prevention practice
- Multimethod teaching strategies to integrate selected QSEN competencies in a Doctor of Nursing Practice distance education program
- Doctor of nursing practice students advocating for health care access, quality, and reform: From the virtual classroom to Capitol Hill
- Expanding infection preventionists' influence in the 21st Century: Looking back to move forward
- Simple physical interventions such as handwashing and wearing masks can reduce spread of epidemic respiratory viruses
Manning, M.L., Pfeiffer, J. & Larson, E.L. (2016). Combating antibiotic resistance: The role of nursing in antibiotic stewardship. American Journal of Infection Control. Accepted for publication.
Manning, M.L. (2016). Antibiotic stewardship for staff nurses: 5 key moments to influence antibiotic management. American Nurse Today, 11:12-14.
Manning, M.L. & Pogorzelska-Maziarz,M. (2016). Infection surveillance systems in primary care: A literature review. American Journal of Infection Control, 44:482-484.
Callahan A., Ames, N., Manning M.L., Touchton-Leonard, Yang L., Wallen GR. (2016). Factors influencing nurses’ use of hazardous drug safe handling precautions. Oncology Nursing Forum. 43:3 A1-A9.
Wus, L, Manning M.L. & Entwistle, J. (2015). Left Ventricular Assist Device driveline infection and the frequency of dressing change in hospitalized patients, Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 44:225-229.
Manning, M.L. & Giannuzzi, D. (2015). Keeping patients safe: Antibiotic resistance and the role of nurse executives in antibiotic stewardship. Journal of Nursing Administration, 2:67-69.
Foster-Chang, S., Manning, M.L., & Chandler, L. (2014). Tuberculosis screening of new hospital employees: Compliance, clearance to work time and cost using tuberculin skin test and Interferon-Gamma Release Assays. Workplace Health & Safety, 62:1-8.
Manning, M.L. (2014). The urgent need for nurse practitioners to lead antimicrobial stewardship in ambulatory care. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 26:411-413.
Seeleang, K., Manning, M.L., & Saks, P. (2014). Skin and soft tissue infection management, outcomes, and follow-up in the Emergency Department of an urban academic hospital. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 36:348-359.
White, N., Manning, M.L., Brawer, R. & Plumb, J. (2014). Using accreditation standards as a framework to evaluate and improve a community-based diabetes self-management education program. Population Health Management, 17:8-12.