Gift of Appreciated Securities
You pay no capital gains tax on the appreciated securities, so the after-tax cost is less than a gift of cash.
How it works
- You transfer securities to Jefferson.
- Jefferson immediately sells your securities and uses the proceeds as you have directed.
- You receive gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date they are received by Jefferson, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the securities you donate.
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant outright gift to Jefferson now or funding a gift that pays income for life and benefi ts Jefferson later.