Firsts & Bests
- Jefferson was one of the first U.S. heart centers to use stents to open blocked arteries.
- Jefferson cardiology has a lower mortality rate than the national benchmark.
- Jefferson was one of the first hospitals in the nation to be named a Blue Distinction Center+ for Cardiac Care — recognizing select hospitals that deliver high quality, cost effective specialty care.
- Founded in 1980, Jefferson has the longest standing electrophysiology program and pioneered ablation therapy in Philadelphia.
- Jefferson cardiologists in the Angioplasty Center were among the first in the world to perform Coronary Brachytherapy. We are the only hospital in the tri-state area to perform this procedure.
- Jefferson is one of the few hospitals with clinicians who have expertise in ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), a procedure that uses technology to take over the work of the lungs and the heart in critically ill patients.
- Jefferson’s Medical Cardiac Care Unit has earned a Silver-Level Beacon Award for Excellence from the Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- We are the only hospital in the Philadelphia region—and one of only a handful in the nation—to offer the Philips Brilliance iCT 256-slice scanner, helping us more accurately diagnosis coronary heart disease.