Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University


Housing Policies for Barringer, Martin &
Orlowitz Residences

Eligibility:  Applications will be accepted from the following University constituencies:

  • Prospective full-time students
  • House Staff
  • Fellowship applicants of Thomas Jefferson University and affiliates on file.

Post-doctoral fellows and house staff applicants must verify their eligibility status by providing a letter from their department confirming that the fellowship will continue for at least one calendar year.

Priority:  Applicants are assigned by date and time of receipt of application and priority status in effect.  First and second priority status is assigned to applicants on the basis of their home address (which will be the address of record in the Registrar/House Staff/Department office). 

First priority applicants are:

  1. Those who have a permanent home address outside the Philadelphia city limits
  2. Those within Philadelphia zip codes 19114, 19115, 19116, 19154
  3. Current residents of Barringer, Martin or Orlowitz residences.

Second priority applicants are:

  1. Those whose permanent home address is within the Philadelphia city limits except for the zip codes 19114, 19115, 19116, and 19154.

Placement of Second Priority Applicants:  After all first priority applicants have been placed, and if there is remaining housing, second priority applicants will be assigned.

Apartments with Minor Dependents:  Applicants with minor dependents, regardless of priority status and/or date and time of receipt of application, are given preference for two- and three-bedroom apartments.  However, within the group of applicants with minor dependents, assignments are made by date and time of receipt of application.

Guaranteed Housing for First Year Students:  First year students in Sidney Kimmel Medical College, Jefferson College of Health Professions, Jefferson College of Nursing, Jefferson College of Pharmacy, Jefferson College of Population Health, or Jefferson College of Graduate Studies are guaranteed University housing if:

  1. Applications are received in the Housing Office by May 31
  2. Official acceptance to TJU for a fall or pre-fall term is received by May 31
  3. Applicants have first priority status. 

Guaranteed housing does not guarantee that an applicant will receive his/her preference of building, size, number of roommates, renovation status and/or occupancy date.  However, every effort will be made to meet an applicant's first choice.  If the guaranteed assignment is rejected for any reason, the guaranteed space will be offered to the next applicant.  This will insure that each applicant receives one assignment before any applicant receives a second assignment.  To meet the guarantee, students may be assigned to overflow space (i.e. three people in a two bedroom unit, two people in a one bedroom unit, etc).  House staff of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and affiliates are not guaranteed housing.

College and University Student Vaccination Act: Effective August 27, 2002, this law requires all full-time college students who live in university housing show proof that they have been vaccinated against meningococcal disease (bacterial meningitis).

Occupancy:  Apartments and residence hall spaces must be occupied as assigned: either furnished or unfurnished, private or shared.  On-campus housing spaces may only be occupied by the applicant, the applicant's legal spouse (marriage license required), minor dependents, or domestic partners who meet eligibility requirements (Contact the Housing Office, 215-955-1756, for eligibility requirements).  Married student housing and housing for students with children is available in Barringer and Orlowitz only. In the case of siblings, both must be affiliated with TJU per eligibility requirements.  Minimum/maximum occupancy is listed below.  

  Minimum Maximum Minimum
Efficiency one one ineligible ineligible
One Bedroom one two two two
Two Bedroom two three two* four*
Three Bedroom three four three* six*

*Totals include minor dependents.  In the Martin Residence Hall, minimum occupancy is one and maximum occupancy is two, no minors.

Minimum Occupancy Policy : [The following policy is applicable to the residents of the Barringer or Orlowitz Apartment-style Residence Halls only.]  One, two, three or four roommates may share an accommodation up the maximum occupancy. For example, up to two residents may share a one bedroom. When the maximum number of occupants are assigned to an apartment, and a roommate situation changes, the remaining roommates will be required to reapportion monthly housing fees to include the market rent. Alternatively, roommate consolidation may occur if there are any other persons in an on-campus space that is below the minimum occupancy. When roommate consolidation is not an available option, reapportioning the rent is the only alternative.

Requirement for Occupancy:  Failure to maintain eligibility status as defined in the Eligibility Requirements will be cause for termination of the agreement.

Personal Property Insurance: Each occupant must obtain renters or similar personal property insurance coverage sufficient to protect the occupant, the occupant’s personal property, and guests who may suffer loss due to the occupants’s negligence while on the property. Proof of insurance must be submitted to university housing upon request.

Housing Options

Co-Educational Housing: The Department of Housing and Residence Life (DHRL) allows men and women to share an apartment in the Orlowitz and Barringer buildings. Co-ed groups must mutually select to live together and they must completely fill an apartment for the entire housing agreement period.

Students who select a co-ed housing assignment should understand that they will be held financially responsible for any vacancies that open up within the apartment during the course of the year.  Students will be given the option of paying for the vacancies (the cost will be split among the remaining residents), pulling in a new roommate of their choosing, or converting the room back to a single gender apartment, based on the gender of the remaining resident(s).  If a male and a female remain in the apartment following a cancellation, those remaining roommates must either pull-in a new roommate of their choosing, coordinate a room change with the DHRL staff for one of the two residents, or accept the financial responsibility for the cost of the vacancy. 

Random roommates will NOT be assigned to any co-ed apartments under any circumstances.

Family Housing: On campus family housing is available in the Barringer and Orlowitz apartment-style residence halls.  Family housing is reserved for individuals who are, at the time of move-in, full-time TJU undergraduate students, graduate students, or postdoctoral appointees ("TJU Resident"), and their spouses, and minor children. Applicants should provide a certificate of marriage from a municipality or government entity and/or a birth certificate of each minor dependent. Students are required to inform Housing Assignment Services if their student status changes. All residents must abide by the terms of the housing agreement.

Agreements and Deposits

Barringer and Orlowitz Lease Agreements:  Applicants offered apartments will enter into an Apartment Lease Agreement with the University and Philadelphia Management Company. Apartment leases are offered as spaces become available for occupancy (generally between July 1st and September 1st), and terminate June 30th. Renewal leases are offered for a 12-month term. The first month's housing fees are due when an agreement is signed.  All contractual obligations, including the incurring of housing fees, begin on the date given in the assignment letter.  Fees are payable on the first of each month thereafter. 

Martin Hall Housing Agreements:  Spaces are filled by date/time of receipt of application, availability and priority status in effect. Applicants offered residence hall space will enter into a nine month contract (September 1 to May 31) with the University.  Housing fee obligations begin when an agreement is signed and fees are payable the first of each month thereafter.  Additional terms may be added on to the contract, making it a ten or twelve month contract. Minors are not permitted in the Martin Building.

Deposits:  A five hundred dollar ($500.00) security deposit is held against damages, non-payment of fees, and non-compliance with termination procedures.  This amount is payable upon acceptance of the housing assignment and before the first day of occupancy.  The deposit is non-refundable in the event that an agreement is not fulfilled. A $500.00 deposit is required for all three buildings.


Disability: The Department of Housing and Residence Life is committed to accommodate persons with disabilities who require assistance in a reasonable manner. Thomas Jefferson University manages all requests for disability accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing Administration, and all other applicable laws and regulations. Accommodation requests that are not subject to state or federal law are considered on a space-available basis. In such cases, requests for specific housing arrangements will be considered as options are available, but specific housing cannot be guaranteed. While each request will be considered, specific areas and types of rooms are not guaranteed. Specific roommate requests may or may not be accommodated.

All requests for accommodations should be made to Jennifer Fogerty, Assistant Provost for Student Affairs, by contacting her at either or (215)503-2787. Jennifer oversees all accommodations for the university and will contact the Director of Housing and Residence Life with any accommodations for the residence halls.

Pets and Service Animals: The Department of Housing and Residence Life does not permit pets in the residence halls. Pets include, but are not limited to, animals, fish, birds, insects, reptiles and/or lab specimens. Failure to abide by this policy can result in the loss of a student’s housing security deposit, additional fines and/or disciplinary action.

Exceptions to this policy may be made in circumstances in which a student requires a service animal or assistance animal as a reasonable accommodation of his or her disability.  Students requiring such an accommodation should contact Jennifer Fogerty, Assistant Provost for Student Affairs, at either (215) 503-2787 or to address whether such an accommodation is appropriate, and to discuss specific needs and services prior to the animal arriving on campus.  The need for an assistance or service animal may be discussed on a case-by-case basis with the Department of Housing and Residence Life, which, if appropriate, will address procedures and appropriate management of the animal for living on campus.  No animal will be permitted in the residence halls without formal approval by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.

University Statement of Nondiscrimination:  Thomas Jefferson University is committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.

Leave of Absence

Students who take a “leave of absence” or a “medical leave of absence” need to notify the Department of Housing and Residence Life PRIOR to leaving the residence halls. Students must fill out a Termination Agreement and speak with the Director of Housing and Residence Life to verify the student’s change of status prior to moving out.

After the student’s Termination Agreement has been received and processed, the student’s housing agreement will be terminated. Since the housing agreement terms were not fulfilled, the student may forfeit their $500.00 housing deposit depending on the circumstances of the leave of absence.

If a student moves out of the residence halls without completing the steps outlined above, the student is still responsible for the terms in their housing agreement including monthly or term payments.

More Info...

Please refer to the Residence Hall handbooks for more details regarding Policies. 


Read More